Gray and vuglovyya layers, covering the morning sky and the thick, dark green conifers cover southeastern Connecticut, released rain showers and thunderstorms. Spots submerged condensate antennae such smoke created by the multiple fires, Viola up.
New London, located on the River Thames and proudly displays its heritage with several preserved historical buildings, was founded in 1646 by John Winthrop, Jr., became an important harbor. By 1834 a fleet of 30 ships and about 900 employees became the third largest whaling port after New Bedford and Nantucket, and today it is a small transportation hub: passenger buses put in front of the railway station. Road parallel to the river to hold the train as the Amtrak then, and North North Metro, while the harbor is the water gateway of Cross Sound Ferry Company at the Black Island and Long Island, the huge steel ramps boats that produce dozens of cars and trucks each hour . Although until 02:00 pm. On this overcast August day car run to Orient Point, just walked away from the pier, vehicles registered to leave at 3 o'clock, already positioned on many runways.
Company Cross and Ferry, which is privately owned and operated by brother and sister team, headquartered in New London, was created to circumvent geographical problems that are put in front of Long Island and Connecticut. Separated by the East River and Long Island Sound, Long Island stretches over 110 miles from New York City, its northern coast roughly parallel to the southern shore of Connecticut, but the two land masses connected only by bridges Whitestone and neck. Depending on the proximity of a person, in theory he would have to travel between 100 and 200 miles in two east-west arteries – Speedway Long Island and Interstate 95 – to reach the destination.
Correcting these deficiencies, the company "Cross Sound Ferry Company" opened regular service of passengers and vehicles between the East End of Long Island in Orient Point and New London, Connecticut, in 1975, for the first time creating a vital link.
Many factors, including the surge in the population of Long Island, the increase in the East End of the vine tourism, creating complexes casinos Foxwoods Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun in Connecticut, and often suppressed road traffic, have led to a sharp increase: up to 23 daily departures in each direction in the peak season and carry over one million passengers annually.
It works colorful, eight-fleet.
Caribbean, with 128-foot overall length and operate engine with 1440 horsepower, were built in 1972 by Marine Blount Marine in Warren, Rhode Island, in the Caribbean archipelago and West Indian service, but five years later It was acquired by Cross Sound. In 1995, he placed the 130 passengers and 22 vehicles, which was completed a new pilot house and loading ramp.
"North Star", built in 1968 in Morgan City, Louisiana to serve seagoing vessel, was purchased in 1984 and converted to the current use of the Eastern Marine shipyard in Panama City, Fla. Powered by the engine 1800 hp Boat length 168 feet contains 300 passengers and 35 vehicles.
260-foot New London, which resembles the North Star with a stern, elongated, open deck car was built in 1979 in the Thames the shipyard in New London, but has been updated upper cabin in 1992 and two years later the diesel engine Cummins KTA38-M2 power 2400 hp It provides up to 15 knots. It is one of only three Navy ships that are doing it. Which could hold the same number of passengers as the North Star, it offers ample deck space for almost twice as many as 60.
840 passenger, 80 transport, 250 futnaya Susan Anne, built in 1964, began its life as a prince Nova, which provides shuttle service between Caribou, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Widely modified by "repair company" Thames "post-acquisition" Cross Sound "in 1998, she received a new passenger cabin, a seat in the style of the airline and the cabin, hydraulic deck under the & # 39; tow, the updated system of the engine room, new electrical and improved motor system .. Now he is working on a diesel engine with a diesel engine turbonagruzhanym 4600 hp, as well as the cruise ferry also provides a speed of 15 knots.
Mary Ellen, was built in 1983 and acquired in 20 years, it is 260 feet, and moves the 800 passengers and 85 vehicles. Driven by the motor 3100 HP, the third achieve cruise speeds of 15 knots.
Henlopen Cape was built in 1941 as the largest, at 327 feet, and the most historic ship, which was built in 1941 as a ship of World War II in Zhefersanvile, Indiana, and is designed USS LST 510, and participated in the D-Day invasion who landed on Omaha beach in Normandy, for which he won a battle star. Redesigned for civilian use on the ferry passenger transport in 1966, he served as the route of Lewis, Delaware for the route Cape May, New Jersey, before purchasing Cross Sound 17 years. Updated diesel engine EMD 12-645 capacity of 3000 hp In 1995, the boat was carrying 900 passengers and 90 cars within 55 futnaga beam, providing a speed of 12.5 knots.
Sea Jet I, developed InCat of Australia and built by Nichols Brothers shipyard in Seattle, Washington, in 1989, with the & # 39 is the fastest and the only ship in the fleet of pure passenger. 122-foot katahiran which breaks wave, with the engine 5000 hp and ride control system Maritime Dynamics, served three routes before you buy in 1995: Boston Nantucket mizhgavayski Airport intercity and San Dyega- Catalina Island. His 400 passengers, the airline arranged on two decks, cross sound for 40 minutes at a speed of 30 knots.
Ferry very special design for the system Cross Sound – m / n John H, which was to work at 3:00 prior to administration in Orient Point. Built in 1989, East sea shipping company in Panama City, boat, length of 240 feet, 60-foot beam and desyatsifutovaya attraction – the largest, which is classified in accordance with the rules of subsection T of the US Coast Guard. to operate on the lakes, in bays and sounds.
Taken June 22, 1989 on the 98-ton ferry paromtsy made of steel, is set to double avtapaluba 120 levels; front bar and lounge; Average cabin with space Cross Sound Deli; aft cabin and a games arcade; and upper deck with a seat in the street for all 1,000 passengers. Flat-screen TVs located throughout.
Recently upgraded with more pure spalvayuchym nitric oxide, a diesel engine of 3000 hp, it provides a cruise speed of 13 knots. His call sign – WAC 6768.
Swallowing a lot of cars and trucks with flat beds, which are paving the transverse bands across the aft and swallowing them in the cavernous, main deck, m / n John H distracted ramp with hydraulic drive and disappeared from the soil of Connecticut, almost imperceptibly. torn from the pier low vibrating roar of the engine.
Sliding on a dark blue surface of the River Thames, he went to New London harbor, the most accessible east coast, with the deepwater port because of its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, and was Division General Dynamics helicopter ship, located on the east side, in Groton. This is one of two American & # 39 objects where build and maintain nuclear submarines.
Swim two miles, the boat took on a rocky point on the west side of the River Thames, which celebrated its entrance and guarded by the light of New London Harbor. As a result of the increase of maritime traffic, the lighthouse in its original form was built in 1761 on a 64-futnay stone tower, topped with a wooden lantern, which replaced the temporary beacon of the mid-1700s.
The second change in 1801 a stone tower at 89 feet and cast iron lantern after a large crack in the weakened structure of two years earlier, octagonal lighthouse with brown stone, the fourth in North America and the first on Long Island Sound, it belongs to the oldest and Connecticut. One of the first who showed flashing light. Caretaker's house, added in 1863, has been expanded at the turn of the century.
Sports of the white and red sectors traffic today in London gavannym light remains active navigation tool, warning ships about dangerous Sarah Ledge.
As if served GPS routing point of the first generation, the lighthouse was the first of many, who held talks in the course of the ferry in the south-west across the Long Island Sound, in which he entered. Huge green red brick New London Ledge Light, which shows a mansard roof and granite details, slowly moving out wide port, indicating the entrance to the harbor.
Iskryty movement created by the industrial revolution, for which light the harbor of New London was found to be insufficient because of the prevalence of hidden, remote presentations and tablecloths, and is dictated by the owners of coastal homes Connecticut, who wished to preserve the homogeneity of the elegant district with the French Second Empire style, it was built in 1901 by Hamilton R. Douglas of New London. It was one of the last built lighthouses of New England.
Her bed was towed to the site and filled with concrete and tear before it sank 28 feet of water, while its concrete pier 50 square feet, which stood 18 feet above the tide, was erected over him. Three windows were level equal to the number of floors. Cast iron lantern, originally of sports & # 39; Fresnel objects in the four tips and an incandescent lamp oil, rose with a mansard roof. fog signal was added in 1911, it was the light of the 30-second single red and white triple flashes. In 1987, he became the last lighthouse on Long Island, which has become automated.
Supporting units 13, m / n John H advanced by Fishers island.
Lighthouse gonavaga Revival Race Rock Lighthouse, which was sitting on the circular base, soon moved to the left side. Mini Castle, located in the western part of the island, noted particularly dangerous area, small stone spurs, penetrating 70 feet of water, were the cause of many ship wrecks and collisions. It was first lit by January 1, 1879.
Swallowed almost featureless void created off-white mist at the top and surreal gloss mirror Long Island Sound below somewhere between New London and East Point, m / n John H supports almost 13 knots, the movement is only proven by sparkling awakening he delayed. But a thin pencil line indicated its origin and purpose, it would seem, still lagged between karma and onions. Strong wind, trying to counteract the humidity and sulfuric soup heat, only wins. Sam Long Island Sound, which is limited Vestchesterskim District, New York City, and the Bronx in the west and the Eastern Point and Plum islands, seagulls and fishermen in the east, the length of 90 miles in width three to 20 miles, resulting in a 1180- napavagarozhanaya area pavmilyah between the East River and Block Island Sound. He became a member of the Atlantic international waterway.
Its pool formed by the flow stream before the ice is lowered as a result of two glacial promotion by increasing its water depth of more than 100 feet, and turning it from a fresh water lake neprylivnay salt, ocean tidal zone.
The mouth of the Connecticut River, located in the Old Saybruku, descends into the sound, while most of its drainage, together with the rivers Thames and Gusatoniya quickly follows at its open end through the eastern drainage basin, which is almost 13 times its area.
Its water rich in blue fish, lobsters, crabs, clams and oysters, and its watershed supports about eight million people.
In the hallway on the m / n John H, passengers sipping alcoholic beverages and others purchased a snack or a late lunch with Cross Sound Deli in the middle of the cabin. Watching TV and reading were common in the aft and on the open deck above prygorshchy transferred rays and wind.
Seagull island located seven miles north-east of East Point and Plum halfway between the islands and fishermen, has been steadily moving away from the port side.
Once at the site of the military fort was posted Large gull, after the American Museum of Natural History created it in 1948 for the study of migratory Krachai.
Samuel Willis acquired in 1659, Little Gull, making his way through several owners, eventually fell into the hands of the government to its acquisition in 1803, $ 800 to build a lighthouse on the optimal location in one acre and flow. In addition to some of the existing, which contribute to the foundation rock, all other necessary construction materials were transported to the island by sea.
59-foot tower that consists of smooth stone free assassinated, pledged courses and internal way of wooden, spiral staircase, which ends with a lantern, was launched in 1805 and a separate, one and a half floor, wooden goalkeeper apartment on the main level and two bedrooms one on the top. The round stone wall diameter of 100 feet, 11 feet thick, intended for protection against storms, was added in summer 1817 year.
A large, 81-foot high lighthouse built in 1867 on a brick wall five feet thick, has replaced the old structure, and three years later was attached to the house keeper of wood and granite. On the & # 39; objects Fesnelya second order was first used in December 1869.
Ending the 177 years of attendance, the station can be automated in 1978.
Going on left turn now deep blue water reflecting blue sky-bluish, m / n John H entered in the "race" designed so because often superior pyatsivuzlovyh tidal water flow, which combined with strong winds and heavy seashores to create dangerous tides. Cracked onion white hats, he cut through its longitudinal axis.
Plum Island, the largest of three atolls, which extend to the north-east to the sound from Long Island, was as Little Gull acquired Samuel curled in 1659 with Viyandana Santa Mantauka. In 1775 amphibious landing continental army was under the command of General David Wooster so that they can thwart potential attacks of British English, while more than a century was built coastal artillery base later, in 1899, during the Spanish-American War. Always fulfilling a protective role during the two world wars, he guarded Long Island Sound and New York Harbor, during which was occupied by about 1,000 soldiers, the remains of which – a smaller battery and brick premises in which they are located. Taking advantage of some of the ancient officer and animal premises until 1984, the US Department of Agriculture has established a laboratory there.
The first lighthouse on the island in 1827 was the 40-futnaya, rough stone tower, crowned with ten reflector lamp, a year after Richard Jerome sold to the US government three of their 840 hectares. In 1869, he was replaced by 23-foot building with a double floor, granite and almost ecclesiastical structure, which marked traditionally treacherous waters west point.
Releasing a barely audible hum, m / n John H sailed past the mountain Plum Gut, moving across the black-and-white, rock, truck ahead lighthouse Orient Point, located not far from the point, after which it was named, and points to the inevitability of the arrival.
Built between one thousand eight hundred ninety-eight and 1899 years to mark the end of the reef and oysters guide ships through dangerous currents Plyuta Guth, lighthouse consisting of bent, cast iron plates held together to form a truncated cone resting on a circular diameter of 21 feet. caisson filled with concrete and externally covered with brick. He himself used as the basis of the oyster rocky points. 64-foot structure, often referred to as "coffee pot" because of its appearance, listed five degrees to the southeast. He became automated in 1966.
Reducing the speed and the appropriate size turquoise erurbulyatsyi that arises as a result of the punishment, the ferry went to the Long Island Sound, passing through Gardiner's Bay, before you start right, the final approach, turn to the top of the North Villas, starting associated with Connecticut, Mary Ellen, who has two feed gold and black gold stack, bypassing the onion George. H in the left arc when it passes through the beacon Eastern point. Before joining was another beacon "point point», Orient Long Beach Bar Light, which marked the entrance to the harbor Orient.
On adapted screw platform, which itself has penetrated ten feet of sand on the bottom of the bay, 60-foot tall structure was crowned on the & # 39; a fifth-order lens with a fixed red light, while the double floors keepers with the floor "house was covered with a mansard roof.
In the winter time it veratsyanovyya legs often become two feet thick ice. For example, in 1824, he broke off the dock, and in 1881 broke three columns, and almost all of its lift.
Пясок, усё больш аддаляючыся ад маяка, у канчатковым выніку зрабіў яго лішнім, і да 1963 года ён быў цалкам знішчаны падпалам.
Да 1990 года была пабудавана трохсекцыйная копія арыгінала, якая атрымала назву "лямпачка", таму што яна нагадвала памылку, якая ішла па вадзе, і была выбудавана на пляцоўку, дзе была сабрана крана. Праз тры гады падкантрольная берагавой ахове ЗША зноў была прызначана афіцыйным навігацыйным дапаможнікам.
Напружана рухаючыся па гавані, м / п Джон Н спыніў рух, адчыніўшы свой наперад, падобны на рот пандыс-пандус і зноўку прызямліўся, каб прызямліцца пасля праходжання 16,5 мілі Доўгі астраўк Звук пры дапамозе сваіх шматлікіх маякоў і сарваў парад Аўтамабілі з кавернозных дамоў трымаюцца на Orient Point, самы ўсходні хутар у горадзе Саўталд і шлюз да вінаграднікаў, ферм і марской вёскі Грынпорт.